Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Why I love Source Code?



Yesterday, I watched Source Code again, for the second time. I'm not sure if you're all familiar with movie, but for those who don't, Source Code is a sci-fi techno-thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan. Jake Gyllenhaal (what a funky last name, spelling it correctly is like eating lobster) stars as Capt. Colter Stevens/Sean Fentress. I believe it was Jake's second best work since Donnie Darko. 

Awwwww. That's so catchy. 

The movie's plot  is close to De Javu and Avatar, since it uses time-travel paradoxes and taking over on someone's body. What it made more interesting is the scenes are looped back every eight minutes, but with variations on Jake's character since he  knows what will happen within and after eight minutes which the bomb explodes killing everyone aboard the train. His character is supported by Capt. Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) who explained to him how he got involved in the Source Code and how it works. She also revealed that Stevens is half-dead and only the life-support system is what keeps him alive. Also, the character of Dr. Ruthledge (Jeffrey Wright), is what I felt as the villain of the film other than bomber and it's really good to see how the characters of Stevens and Ruthledge collide because of Stevens' constant questions and requests. I even got more delighted when they talked about parabolic physics and quantum mechanics, which gave the film a semi-realistic look. 

Meanwhile, Michelle Monaghan stars as Christina Warren, she's one of the reasons why Stevens keep going back to the Source Code, he wants to save her. Later on the film, Stevens discovered how alternate realities work. On the original reality, Stevens prevented the second attack from happening. It was a bit emotional in the near-end of the film when Stevens found that he was already dead. Goodwin was tasked to erase Stevens' memory but she was forced to end his life as they have deal that she will let him die peacefully. 

On the alternate universe, using the information he gathered during his previous trips to the Source Code, Stevens defused the bomb and caught the bomber. In the last seconds of his eight-minute mark, Colter and Christina kissed. He was surprised that his consciousness was transferred to Sean Fentress' body. An alternate version of Goodwin receives an email from Stevens explaining what has happened and how powerful the Source Code can be as it can change the target alternate reality. The movie ends, as Stevens now as Fentress asks Goodwin to help Capt. Colter Stevens on his future Source Code missions. 

To sum it all up, Source Code is not just a typical science fiction thriller, it's much more exciting. Watching the movie is like completing a puzzle since every scene makes the viewer guess that will happen next. 


24 comments:

Alessandro Zuliani said...

the film wasn't that great imo, i liked watching it anways

Mai Yang said...

for me, the movie was cool ^__^ actually, I didn't find it interesting until I saw his real situation :( so sad..

Mitdude2001 said...

One of the best films this year, Gylenhall + Monaghan, what an awesome pair. Nice post mate!

Shaw W. said...

Maybe I'll give it a watch

Blorriepoes said...

gotta love it!

-E- said...

gylenhall is a very underrated actor, i feel.

Devourisclutch said...

Nice i review! I gotta watch this asap. ")

DiamondR said...

Very interesting. I think I need to find ways to get a copy.
happy weekend buddy. Beautiful Thursday here again.

April Corville said...

I watched it last week, I gotta admit I loved the film, but it was so short. I still have so many questions have source code started. But anyway, nice review.

gpknaidu said...

hi after reading u r post i am interested to watch the movie.

dwizzt said...

Yeah, but I believe most of his films are great.

Jyoti mishra said...

yeah I have seen this few weeks back.. and yes jack did a nice job in this movie.
Storyline is awesome and keeps u hooked to the screen till t he end.

dwizzt said...

You really should. I'm sure you'll love the film.

Daniel said...

yay, this movie is really epic and Jake Gylenhall does a great job as usual!

Jessica Thompson said...

How sappy!

Elliot said...

Well I might just have to check this thing out then...
+followed

H.R. Puff-N-Stuff said...

Awesome!
Consider yourself followed!
lifesallajoke.blogspot

dwizzt said...

thanks man, +followed you back 

Cacao Organic Fairtrade said...

Very nice movie, thanks for the reviews.

Devourisclutch said...

I finally watched the movie this morning, it was awesome bro!

Sailor said...

I like this movie too!
http://www.mycruisetravelpictures.com/

dwizzt said...

thanks man.

+followed
please follow back :)

J Merkell said...

Everyone's gotta love this movie.

Anonymous said...

i love this movie...
this movie has change myself to another man...
source code is the best...
:D
add me on fb to know me better..
Naqib Senaqib...

Post a Comment